Coconut Oil Pulling
What is coconut oil pulling?
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic morning ritual that involves swishing 1Tbs of oil (typically coconut, sesame, or sunflower oil) in your mouth for about 20 minutes per day on an empty stomach then spitting and rinsing it out when you're done. The main purpose of this is to draw out toxins from your mouth and body. The condition of your mouth can be detrimental to your health so it is important to keep bacteria and toxins out of there! Oil pulling really digs down deep to the areas your tooth brush or flossing can't reach and it draws out those nasty toxins! It is probably one of the best ways to remove bacteria and promote a healthy mouth. Not to mention, there are a ton of added benefits to oil pulling, especially coconut oil pulling.
Benefits of coconut oil pulling:
- whitens teeth
- boosts immune system
- kills strep throat bacteria
- strengthens teeth and heals bleeding gums
- reduces acne
- improves kidney function
- removes stomach issues such as ulcers
- prevents cavities
- eliminates bad breath
- improves oral hygiene
- reduces migraines
- prevents heart disease
- reduces inflammation
- detoxes the body by absorbing toxins
- cures tooth decay
How to oil pull:
- First thing in the morning, pop a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth and swish (DO NOT SWALLOW - the coconut oil is pulling out toxins and bacteria from your mouth that you want OUT of your body, NOT in)
- Swish it in and out of your teeth and gums for 20 minutes (I like to do this while in the shower)
- Spit the oil out in the garbage can (Too much coconut oil down the sink can clog the plumbing and you don't want that!)
- Rinse with warm water or warm water with sea salt
- Brush your teeth as you normally would
- Optional: Rinse your mouth out with a homemade essential oil mouthwash
It's really so easy and I have noticed such a drastic change in how great my mouth feels after oil pulling every day! It has become an awesome daily routine for me! I hope you get to try it and enjoy it as much as I do!
I like to melt my coconut oil and pour it into tablespoon sized , freeze them, then stick them in a mason jar in the refrigerator. Even though it's easy to take a spoonful of coconut oil in the morning, I like to just pop a coconut oil bite in my mouth before I shower.